Saturday, December 15, 2012

Thoughts.  So Many Thoughts.


I'm not one to post my own thoughts and opinions.  I'm a writer, but also an introvert.  I don't mind creating characters and publicizing their thoughts and opinions, but my own personal world?  That's just kinda private.

But in the wake of the Connecticut tragedy, I have a few thoughts to share.

Heck, no one reads this anyway.  It's kind of like sharing with the wall.

I try to write funny.  Funny comes easily, it gives me a lift, and hopefully it gives my readers something too.  Something light.  Something happy.  Something good.

But how can a person think funny thoughts in a world where crazed shooters take the lives of innocent children en masse?

The only conclusion I come up with is this:  Humor helps us enjoy life.  It gives meaning to life.  Pleasure.

Life, which may end at any time. 

I hope those little children were happy right up until the end.  I hope that, until that lunatic forced his damn way into their world, they were having a good day at school.  I hope they ate a delicious breakfast and their parents kissed them goodbye.  I hope that, as a matter of morning ritual, the adults at their school treated them to a joke, a silly story, or at least a smile.

Because for them, life was not about quantity.  But hopefully, it was about quality.

Humor is not everything.  But it can help bring quality to life.  I know I'll still find funny words to write.  But not today.



No comments:

Post a Comment